Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 4th Bean-Bag Update

The glow-in-the-dark paint finally dried!  Today, I made the bean-bag.  Now remember, I cannot sew.  I really cannot sew, not even a button.  But, I made this bean-bag.  As you will see from the picture, the bag is not pretty.  I'm not worried.  It will be dark.  And I have to tell you, I threw this thing around and made sure that it stayed together.  It did.  If I can do this, you can do it better!

First, I had cut a rectangle of material.  I'm not sure what kind of material, I picked it from the "remnants" bin at the fabric store.  Then, I applied several coats of glow-in-the-dark paint.  I allowed drying time, in the light, in between each coat.  My son helped with this, and thought it was just great.
Today, I folded the painted material in-half and sewed two sides together.  I didn't do anything fancy, like turn it inside-out.  I folded the edges over and stitched. 
While I was looking for dried beans, I realized that we had none.  I know, I have been talking bean-bags for 4 days.  Well, onward and upward.  We used dried lentils.  It's a good thing I folded the material before stitching, lentils are REALLY SMALL. 
We poured the lentils into the bag (be careful, they run all over).  Then, I stitched together the open side of the bag.  We shook and threw the bag, and only 1 lentil fell out. 
Tomorrow night (July 4th), we will have a glow-in-the-dark bean-bag toss.  If we end up with lentils on the yard, then so be it (will they grow?)!
Not pretty, but it doesn't fall apart and it glows!

Please send me your success stories, and I hope you all have fun.  blog@klinecreative.com


No comments:

Post a Comment