Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Have Your Cake and Eat the Batter Too (eggless)

Today my son announced that one of his stuffed animals was having a birthday.  I was not prepared, but I do love cake.  Any reason to bake a cake, right?  So, I went along.  Fortunately, I have a super-easy basic cake recipe.  You probably have the ingredients in your kitchen right now.

The best part - there are no eggs in this recipe!  Kids can help, and are encouraged to lick the bowl. 

This is a plain cake, but it's tasty and can be "dressed up" in ways I'm sure I haven't thought of yet.  In this case, I ran out of sugar and used 1c. brown sugar with 1 cup regular sugar, (Please keep in mind that I am not a chef.  So, I use words like "regular sugar").  Anyway, the only thing I had to "dress up" the cake was a half bag of chocolate chips.  The other half of the bag mysteriously disappeared one night.  I have no idea how that happened!  After we put the batter in the pan, we sprinkled the chips over the batter.

Here is the recipe -

Christine’s Vanilla Cake Base

3 ¾ c. flour 
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt

1 ¼ c. melted unsalted butter
2 1/3 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. vanilla

Pre-heat oven to °350, and grease a bundt pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  To the melted butter add water, vinegar and vanilla.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and stir well.

Pour batter into pan, and bake for 28 – 32 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

I have a really hot oven, so it may take a little longer.  Also, my bunt pan is on the small side.  I had extra batter, so I made another small cake.  This cake can also be made into a 2 layer round cake.  We'll have to try cupcakes and let you know.  I'll consult my "cupcake expert" and let everyone know.

My son helping out with the cake.


Yum!



Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes.  Went around the sides with my miniature-flat-metal-icing-spreader (I told you I wasn't a chef).  Put a plate on the top - flipped it - said a little prayer- and tadah!

The extra little cake.  No chocolate chips, still good.







Please let me know how this works out for you.  If you have ideas or suggestions, please send them to me.  Have fun!  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment